The Welding 2 upgrade is an additional amount of training individuals can take to learn how to safely setup and use a TIG welder. Individuals will not be allowed to use TIG welders until they have obtained a welding 2 upgrade.
- Upgrades must be completed within 45 days of applying. Failure to meet the 45 day deadline will result in all progress towards the upgrade being removed
Steps to complete Welding 2
(must be completed in order)
- Have a red or green permit
- Have a Welding 1 upgrade
- Apply for the Welding 2 upgrade*
- Complete the Welding 2 quiz
- Enroll in and attend the Welding 2 seminar
*Individuals will only be able to apply for upgrades in EMU for which they have completed the prerequisites.
Welding 2 Seminar
This seminar is split into two labs which generally occur on different days.
Individuals will be taught the basics of TIG welding steel. This will include training in machine set-up, use of filler rod, and fusion welding beads, butt joints, lap joints, and T-welds.
Individuals will be taught the basics of TIG welding aluminum. This will include training on machine set-up, use of filler rod and welding beads, butt joints, lap joints, and T-welds.
Lab 1: ~3 hours
Lab 2: ~3 hours
Before you arrive
- Enroll in a Welding 2 seminar*
- Wear appropriate clothing as defined by the safety policy. Clothing must not melt or easily burn.
- Arrive on time. Individuals who show up more than five minutes late will be marked as absent. Individuals who are marked as absent will be unable to register for another seminar for one week.
*Individuals will only be able to sign up for seminars in EMU for which they have completed the prerequisites.
How to Enroll
Seminar dates, times, and locations are posted in EMU under the “My Status” page. If no seminars are currently available you may add yourself to the waiting list. When a seminar becomes available you will receive an email notifying you that you can now enroll (the wait list does not automatically enroll you). At this time it is not possible to be both enrolled in a seminar and on a wait list for the same seminar. You will also only be able to see seminars for which you have completed the prerequisites.